KOTA BARU: Vape traders will hold a gathering in front of the state government complex at Kota Darul Naim here to demand a retraction of the state government’s order to close down vape outlets in Kelantan.
National Malay Vape Traders Organisation (Kelantan chapter) president Mohd Azlee Che Mohd Zaid said the members would also hand over a memorandum to the state officials on the matter.
He and his members are asking for a longer grace period of at least six months for the 350 members to wind up their vape business and cut their losses.
The Kelantan government had earlier announced that a clampdown on vape outlets in the state would be carried out from Jan 1.
“We are of the opinion that the state government should instead concentrate on other fatwa (edicts) issued by the state Mufti on cigarette smoking and the sale of such commodity in Kelantan,” he said in a meeting held here on Monday night.
“We also urge the Government to adopt a more tolerant approach and consider the livelihood of the vaping industry players who will be losing millions of ringgit for buying the devices and liquids.”
Notices have been sent out to the state’s vape outlets asking the owners to vacate their premises.
Kelantan is the second state after Johor to ban the sale of vaping products owing to its bad influence and health issues.
State Local Government committee chairman Datuk Abdul Fattah Mahmood said the decision to ban the sale of vaping products, mods and liquids was decided after a meeting with local authorities, the health department, police, the Mufti department and other relevant bodies.
Abdul Fattah said the local authorities would come down hard on those who ignore the ban.
Offenders who defy the ban will be fined and their products seized.