LEDANG: A three-hour downpour that led to flooding has forced 59 people from eight families to vacate their homes.
Johor Welfare Department deputy director Datuk Daud Arbah said the victims took refuge at a surau and the Tanjung Gading community hall on Sunday before they were shifted to the SK Parit Bunga relief centre the following day.
He said the victims from Kampung Parit Ponorogo and Kampung Tanjung Gading comprised 26 men, 17 women, five boys, seven girls, and four infants.
“We have provided essential needs including mattresses and mats (for senior citizens and children), blankets, ingredients for cooking, milk and food for the babies,” he said.
Flood victim Azman Rashid, 33, said he was fortunate as he managed to save a refrigerator, washing machine, a motorcycle and a car before the three main roads were cut off.
Another victim, Baharom Mohamad, 77, said his family managed to save important documents and several electrical appliances before the water rose to knee height.
Meanwhile, state Welfare Department officer Suhaila Omar said the three main roads connecting the two villagers were reopened, but flood waters still covered the area and some part of the residents' houses.
“We are also providing counselling services to the flood victims as well as toys for the children to keep them happy,” she said.
Meanwhile in Ipoh, the number of flood victims increased to 111 following heavy showers in Pantai Remis and Teluk Intan.
A Perak Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said some five families with 20 people had been relocated to the Padang Serai Religious School in Pantai Remis.
“Nine families with 38 people were moved to SK Changkat Jong in Teluk Intan,” he said.
The victims had moved to the temporary shelter on Monday between 6pm and 9pm.
At Parit in Perak Tengah, eight families with 32 people returned to their homes after the flood waters at parts of the village in Layang-Layang Kiri receded.