Withdrawn – Kok’s case over controversial CNY video


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 21 Nov 2015

KUALA LUMPUR: The prosecution has withdrawn the sedition charge against Seputeh MP Teresa Kok over her controversial Chinese New Year video mimicking certain personalities.

Kok’s counsel Sankara Nair told reporters that deputy public prosecutor Hamdan Hamzah informed Sessions Court judge Norsharidah Awang about this when the case was mentioned before her yesterday.

“All of a sudden, the prosecution told the court that the Attorney-General is withdrawing the charge against my client.

“The prosecution gave no reason and we are totally surprised,” he said, adding that such a withdrawal was common and the Attorney-General was entitled to do so.

On May 7 last year, Kok, 51, claimed trial to publishing a seditious video titled Teresa Kok Onederful Malaysia CNY 2014 on YouTube.

The offence allegedly occurred at an apartment in Jalan Bangsar here at 9am on Feb 1, 2013.

Kok could have lost her seat as MP if she was convicted under Section 4(1)(b) of the Sedition Act 1948, which carries a jail term of up to three years, a fine of RM5,000 or both.

The 11-minute video, which was uploaded on Jan 27, depicted her as the host of a feng shui programme interviewing three panellists and their predictions.

The guests in the video were alleged to have made fun of a variety of issues, such as the Malaysian education system and the Lahad Datu intrusion, besides mocking some top leaders.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

News , bureaus

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site