KUALA LUMPUR: The Attorney-General has withdrawn a sedition charge against Seputeh MP Teresa Kok (pic) over her controversial Chinese New Year video mimicking certain personalities.
Kok’s counsel Sankara Nair told reporters on Friday that Deputy Public Prosecutor Hamdan Hamzah had informed judge Norsharidah Awang about the prosecution’s decision on Friday.
Sankara Nair said that the defence was taken by surprise by the announcement.
“All of a sudden the prosecution told the court that the Attorney-General was withdrawing the charge against my client.
“They (the prosecution) gave no reason and we are totally surprised,” he said.
Sankara said the withdrawal was common and that the Attorney-General was entitled to do so.
“I hope this (withdrawal) will serve as an example to other sedition cases. I suppose we will wait and see and we have to be optimistic,” he added.
Kok, 51, had claimed trial on May 7 last year to a charge of publishing a seditious video, entitled “Teresa Kok ‘Onederful’ Malaysia CNY 2014” , on YouTube.
Kok’s 11-minute video, which was uploaded on Jan 27 last year, depicts the DAP leader as the host of a feng shui programme interviewing three panelists regarding Chinese New Year and their predictions.The panelists in the video are alleged to have made fun of a variety of issues, such as the Malaysian education system and Lahad Datu intrusion, as well as top leaders.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!