‘Bring the culprits to justice’


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 15 Oct 2015

The rebuilt fuselage of MH17 during a press conference to present the report findings of the Dutch Safety Board in Gilze Rijen, The Netherlands, 13 October 2015. EPA/ROBIN VAN LONKHUIJSEN

KLANG: Family members of air steward Shaikh Mohd Noor Mahmood are hoping that the authorities will ensure the culprits responsible for the MH17 crash are held accountable.

Shaikh Mohd Noor was one of the 15 MAS cabin crew who perished in the MH17 tragedy in Ukraine.

“I don’t know what to say. We have no power to do anything, who are we?” said his mother Amnah Mohd Sharif when contacted here on Wednesday.

“I think for now it is up to the Government to handle everything and bring justice to all,” she said.

The 66-year-old from Taman Chi Leung here said that while she did not understand much from the MH17 final report released by the Dutch Safety Board, it was apparent that no party was being held responsible for shooting the aircraft so far.

“Yes, no one has admitted (that they shot down the plane).”

Asked on how her family celebrated Ma’al Hijrah this year, she said family members, including her husband Mahmood Shaikh Abdul Rashid, 71, were meeting up with relatives.

“It is not a grand celebration for us. Things are different now,” she said.

National Institute Of Occu­pa­tional Safety And Health Malaysia chairman Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye called for the criminal investigation into the crash to be expedited to find the perpetrators

He said that while the report conclusively proved that the flight was hit by a missile, it did not assign any blame on any party.

“It had been months of grief, anguish, pain and loss for the families and friends of the victims. Yet, they are still in the dark on who is responsible for downing the plane.

“The criminal investigation process by the Joint Investigation Team must be expedited to find the perpetrators as the grieving families and friends have the right to know who took their loved ones away in such an atrocious manner,” he said in a statement yesterday.

He said that an independent international tribunal should be set up to try the people responsible.

“I hope that the treaty between the five nations Malaysia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Ukraine and Australia will be signed soon so that the independent court can be established to bring the culprits to justice,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Courts & Crime , MH17

   

Next In Nation

Cops get green light to acquire 16 high-performance drones at ceiling cost of RM48mil
EMCO can still be declared at areas with widespread Covid-19 infections until year end
Light-hearted moments emerge despite tense day in Parliament
Covid-19: Record high of 207 fatalities take death toll to 8,201
Decisions on sectors allowed to operate made collectively by NSC, says Azmin
Govt will spend RM1.2bil to extend terms of contract doctors
KL cops investigating alleged road rage incident involving food delivery rider
Hishammuddin takes over Ismail Sabri in issuing statements on enforcement activities and SOP compliance from Tuesday (July 27)
Govt has come up with many plans but Covid-19 still on the rise, says Dr M
Johor gives one-off RM500 aid to creative industry players

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers