KOTA KINABALU: Manila has dismissed claims of any air crashes or findings of wreckage in its territory.
Capt Giovanni Carlo Bacordo, commander of Naval Task Force 61, said yesterday that they deployed a gunboat to investigate the claims of a man about sightings of wreckage believed to be the missing MH370.
“We deployed a gunboat there because of the news. We interviewed the people at the Sugbay Island, the fishermen, but they have no knowledge about it,” said Capt Bacardo.
Even the people living in the island for the longest time had no knowledge of this, he said.
Capt Bacardo was surprised by the information, but said he was checking on it.
“It’s a big island, 3.5 miles (5.6km) long but we did an initial investigation with the locals,” he told Philippines media.
On Saturday, a report was lodged with the Sandakan authorities about the said sighting.
Jamil Omar, 46, had gone to the police with information he received from his aunt, who claimed to have been told about it by her relatives who were hunting for birds at the Sugbay Island in Tawi Tawi last week.
It was reported that skeletal remains fastened to the seats were seen inside the plane.
Did you find this article insightful?