Esszone curfew extended until Aug 5


  • Nation
  • Monday, 20 Jul 2015

KOTA KINABALU: The curfew in the waters off the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (Esszone) will be extended further, until Aug 5.

Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said the 7pm-5am curfew, involving the districts of Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Kunak, Semporna and Tawau, had been extended for security reasons.

In a statement Monday, Jalaluddin said the decision to extend the curfew was based on new information about potential threats of kidnap for ransom groups and Abu Sayyaf militants.

He said chalet operators in the region and the fishing community were also supportive of the extension.

The curfew would enable security forces to carry out enforcement, and monitoring of boat movements and suspicious activities in relation to cross border crimes such as human and drug trafficking and firearm smuggling, he said.

Jalaluddin said district police chiefs in Esszone had been empowered to issue permits to those involved in fishery activities or during an emergency. – Bernama
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Esszone , Sabah , curfew , extended

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site