PETALING JAYA: The 6P amnesty programme for foreign workers concluded last year, with no new intakes, said Immigration director-general Datuk Mustafa Ibrahim.
He said there were some irresponsible parties advertising that they were still conducting the programme on the department’s behest.
“In the first place, the government never authorised any other party to conduct the programme besides us.
“We discovered that there were many companies advertising fake 6P programmes on social media lately.
“They are trying to take advantage of employers,” he said in a statement on Monday.
He also reminded employers and agencies not to fall into the scam.
“Let me be clear, the programme ended in 2014. So far, the government has not decided to replace it with any alternative programme.
“Log in to our official website for the legitimate information on the matter,” he said. The public can visit www.imi.gov.my.
A total of 521,734 illegal immigrants had registered under the programme, and they were given working permits of between two and three years, depending on the sectors.
The 6P programme was implemented in 2011 to reduce the population of illegal immigrants.