PETALING JAYA: Initial reports indicate that 23 schools in six Sabah districts have been affected by Friday's earthquake, said Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin (pic).
The Deputy Prime Minister said the schools involved were 16 primary schools, six secondary schools and a Chinese school, in Ranau, Tuaran, Kota Belud, Penampang, Nabawan and Keningau.
“So far, there are not reports of casualties as it is still the school holidays.
“We discovered that the damage was on the school buildings, teachers’ quarters, road and land at the schools’ compound,” he said in a statement Saturday.
Muhyiddin, who is also Education Minister, said the ministry was in the midst of getting Public Works Department experts to verify whether the buildings involved were safe to be used before any repairs could be done.
“Sufficient funds will be allocated immediately to the state Education department so that the damage can be repaired, without disrupting the education process at the schools.
“We are still waiting for the full report from the state department on the estimated damage. Rest assured that assistance will be given to conduct repairs as soon as possible,” he said.
He added that the ministry would even temporarily place the students at other nearby schools if the need arises.
Muhyiddin, who is National Disaster Management Committee chairman, said he was saddened over the quake in Sabah and has since directed rescue teams to continue with the Search and Rescue operations, including at Mount Kinabalu.
"Residents in the areas involved should not panic and should follow advice issued by the authorities.
“I have also instructed the National Security Council to introduce an early earthquake warning system, including for schools,” he said.