GEORGE TOWN: The state government is preparing a proposal to take over the Penang ferry operations.
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the state was waiting for more data from the Transport Ministry in order to prepare a thorough plan.
“The request for more information was made after the ministry replied in a letter dated May 8 that the state could submit a proposal on taking over the management and operations of the ferry services.
“We have written to the ministry asking for the financial statements of Penang Port Sdn Bhd and the condition of the ferries so that we can prepare a detailed proposal,” he told a press conference in Komtar yesterday.
It was reported on May 4 that the Transport Ministry had agreed in principle to the state government’s proposal to take over the Penang ferry operations.
Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai was quoted as saying that he would have to look at the proposal before deciding the next move.
He had said that the ministry received a letter from the state government in April, proposing the takeover.
Lim said if given the green light to run the ferry services, the state government would want 30 more licences from the Federal Govern-ment to operate mini ferries or water taxis.
He said the state would not assume the operating losses incurred so far if the ferry takeover was successful.
“The state government is willing to absorb all non-management PPSB workers,” he said, adding that the services of management staff would not be retained.
Did you find this article insightful?