KUANTAN: The Pahang government is putting into motion a plan to stop illegal mining and irresponsible transportation of ore by the end of August.
Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob said the state government was "damn bloody serious" in containing the pollution problem that had been caused by mining activities.
"We are not happy with the state of the roads in Kuantan and the surrounding areas of Gebeng that have been damaged due to mining lately.
"We have put together a list of regulations and hopefully by Aug 31, there will be no more illegal mining and irresponsible transportation companies operating here," he said at the groundbreaking ceremony of BASF Petronas' new chemical plant in Gebeng here Thursday.
Adnan added that the Land Public Transport Commission, police and Road Transport Department would set up 24-hour roadblocks and conduct constant patrols along the roads plied by ore transport lorries to minimise the problem.
"We will also mobilise teams to find and seal off illegal mining sites. Hopefully in two to three weeks' time, we will see some improvement," he said.
On the plant, Adnan said the state government was very happy whenever foreign companies make investments there.
"It is not so much about the state, but for the people. In Gebeng, the spin-off effects from foreign investments have provided 12,000 job opportunities for the people of Pahang and its surrounding areas," Adnan said.
He also said Pahang steadily attracts RM2bil in investments annually.
"This proves that the government is successful in projecting Pahang as attractive to investors. The government can also prove to the people there are employment opportunities in the state," he said.
The plant, expected to be commissioned in the fourth quarter of 2016, would be the first of its kind in the Asean region.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!