KUALA LUMPUR: The drivers of two Perodua Myvis involved in an accident that killed a family of three along the Duta-Ulu Kelang Expressway (DUKE) on Saturday have been released on police bail.
Kuala Lumpur staff officer for traffic investigation and regulation Deputy Supt Markandan Subramaniam said the two, including the 35-year-old woman who was arrested had already been questioned by police and released on police bail on Sunday.
DSP Markandan said that police were looking into the matter seriously and assured that a thorough investigation would be carried out.
"We are looking into all angles to ascertain the extent of negligence," he said when contacted Sunday.
He added that the investigation paper was expected to be completed next week.
Despite the suspects' release, Bukit Aman traffic chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Mohd Fuad Abd Latiff said that the duo will be required to report back in a couple of weeks.
“They are required to report to the KL traffic police station in two-weeks. PDRM assures that an investigation will be done transparently and without any prejudice towards the parties involved in the accident,” he said in a statement on Sunday.
He urged eyewitnesses of the incident to come forward to assist investigations and called for speculation on the accident to stop as police probe the matter.
Fairuz Nizam Husain, 35, his wife Nova Safitri Azhari, 27 and their seven-month old daughter Nur Firuza Annisa were all thrown from their vehicle as it spun on the highway.
Fairuz Nizam was killed on the scene while Nova Safitri and Nur Firuza died at Hospital Kuala Lumpur.
The three of them were reportedly returning home from a wedding reception in Putrajaya.
The couple has two other daughters, Nur Firuza Amira, seven, and Nur Firuza Akila, three.
The case is being investigated under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act for reckless driving.