PETALING JAYA: Controversial 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB)-linked billionaire businessman Low Taek Jho must be called in for questioning as soon as possible by the task force assigned to investigate the government investment arm, said Cheras Umno division chief Datuk Seri Syed Ali Alhabshee.
"There is one name that keeps popping up when the issue of alleged misappropriation of funds belonging to the state development fund is discussed. And that name is none other than Low Taek Jho, a self-styled flamboyant billionaire," Syed Ali wrote on the division website Thursday.
"The rakyat are waiting for answers. And so am I. In sharp contrast, Jho Low has ticked off Umno Youth and is nonchalantly going about his usual business. Therefore it is only fair that Jho Low and everyone privy to the route the funds have travelled face the anti-corruption commission, police and Attorney-General's Chambers," he added.
Noting the slow investigation into 1MDB, Alhabshee questioned whether Low would be called in at all.
"We cannot tolerate any more delays from the task force. Jho Low should be investigated immediately," he urged, adding that the money allegedly funnelled away was meant for the development of the country and its people.
According to claims by tell-all website Sarawak Report, Jho Low has billions of dollars worth of 1MDB funds via a company he controls.
"Jho Low is right smack in the middle of the 1MDB financial mess," Syed Ali said, quoting Sarawak Report allegations over the US$1.93bil that 1MDB lent to PetroSaudi.
In the April issue of Euromoney magazine, Low claimed he had been made a scapegoat in the entire saga, accusing critics of blowing up a campaign centred around him.
Umno Youth called for a detailed probe into Low's involvement in 1MDB, after the latter called the wing's leaders a bunch of "spinmasters" during the interview with the magazine.
The Cabinet has ordered an audit of 1MDB, which is said to have built up a debt of nearly RM42bil.
Did you find this article insightful?