BUKIT MERTAJAM: Penang PAS Youth has withdrawn its support for PKR in the Permatang Pauh by-election.
Its Youth chief Yusni Mat Piah said the move came after PKR failed to apologise by the deadline on Saturday for opposing PAS’ hudud plan.
Yusni said the PAS Youth election machinery would be grounded and its members had been told to “rest” throughout the campaigning period.
He said they were disappointed by the silence of Penang PKR Youth and certain PAS leaders in dealing with the issue.
“We stand by our views. Our operation centre will not be opened.
“The party premises under the supervision of our Youth wing will not be used for this by-election.
“We will not accept any invitation or take part in any ceramah,” he said in a statement.
PAS deputy president Mohamed Sabu had earlier claimed that the dispute between PAS and PKR over hudud had been “settled”.
When contacted, PKR strategic director Sim Tze Tzin declined to comment on Yusni’s statement but insisted that work on the ground were going smoothly with the involvement of PAS members.
In another development, Umno vice-president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said Barisan Nasional would ask for a bigger allocation for developmental purposes for Permatang Pauh if it wins the by-election.
He said for the past 17 years, the people of Permatang Pauh, especially those in Penanti and Permatang Pasir, had been deprived of development.
“The people of Permatang Pauh have to change their mindset. They must choose a local born who will spend his full time here.
“If we don’t have a local candidate who will bring up the people’s concerns and problems to the Government, then who will?” he said, referring to PKR candidate Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail who is also the Kajang state assemblyman.
Did you find this article insightful?