KOTA KINABALU: Power supply at four Sabah east coast districts is expected to return to normal by Monday following the construction of a temporary high-tension cable pylon Sunday.
A Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB) official said the utility company’s technicians had been working around the clock to erect the temporary pylon near Kampung Segama Lama in Lahad Datu
“We were hoping the work on the temporary pylon could be completed by the weekend but there was some delay. We have to see whether it could be done by Sunday night,” he said.
Power supply to Tawau, Kunak, Lahad Datu and Semporna districts was disrupted after a high-tension cable pylon that was part of SESB 132kV grid collapsed near the village.
SESB had to impose load shedding in the four districts following the collapse of the pylon.
The utility firm said the incident also highlighted the need for a large capacity power generation facility to act as an "anchor station" for Sabah’s east coast.
“At the moment, the east coast of Sabah is too dependant on the major power stations that are located on the west coast,” the official said.