Works Ministry needs more time to estimate losses


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 03 Jan 2015

PETALING JAYA: The Works Ministry needs more time to come up with the losses caused by the floods in the east coast as several locations are still inundated.

“We will only be able to give a more accurate figure once the water has subsided. We are also waiting for state governments to provide us the figures before we can release anything,” said Works Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusof yesterday.

Fadillah said the ministry would need to inspect buildings and roads in the affected areas to determine the kind of repair needed.

“Once we have ascertained the scope of work, it would be easier to determine the estimated losses,” said Fadillah, who also called on volunteers to participate in the clean-up and other post-flood recovery work.

He said that as of Friday midnight, all federal roads had been opened, though most of them would be limited to one lane at the damaged portions, adding that repair works along the road from Kuala Lumpur to Kuantan would be carried out once the water subsided.

Access to Kuantan from here is limited as the East Coast Expressway (a privatised road) is still cut off at the Lanchang-Temerloh-Chenor interchange, as of 7pm yesterday.

Temporary detours are currently being built around the collapsed stretches of the East-West Highway (from Gerik, Perak, to Jeli, Kelantan) as well as the Jalan Lojing-Gua Musang (Kelantan) route and they are expected to be completed by Monday.

However, Jalan Aring-Kenyir-Kuala Jeneris in Terengganu will remain closed for repairs.

The Star reported that the floods in Kelantan had caused an estimated RM200mil in losses.

State flood disaster management director Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed had said that the floods had damaged basic infrastructure in the towns of Gua Musang, Kuala Krai, Tanah Merah, Tumpat, Pasir Mas and Kota Baru.

It was also said that at least RM132mil was needed to repair roads in Terengganu.

In Petaling Jaya, the Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Abdul Rahman Dahlan declared that clean-up efforts in flood-affected areas in Kelantan would be led by his ministry.

He said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had instructed his ministry to spearhead this effort, which will begin once it has been determined there will not be any further flooding.

The ministry, he added, had also received an official request from the Kelantan government for assistance in this area.

“We will also be communicating with the Malaysian Meteorological Department to ensure clean-up efforts will not be hampered by any second or third waves of flooding,” he said.

Abdul Rahman said his ministry would work closely with Kelantan flood disaster management director Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed and local authorities on the clean-up operations.

“The clean-up includes removal of carcasses, if any, to prevent health risk to the population. The Fire and Rescue Department has also been asked to provide water supply for clean-up operations.”

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

P-hailing companies given 14 days to submit comprehensive policy, says Nanta
Hot weather: Public urged to report smoke, small fires immediately
Dr Wee dedicates Warriors' Day wish to all frontliners
Art Harun recuses himself from any motions involving AG
#Lawan protesters disperse following police instructions
Cabinet advised King to proclaim state of emergency in Sarawak, says PMO
Walk-in vaccinations in the Klang Valley to start on Aug 2
GOF seizes bird's nests, vape gadgets and liquid worth RM410,000
#Lawan protest gets underway as crowd marches toward Dataran Merdeka
Emergency extension in Sarawak necessary to prevent Covid-19 spike, say state leaders

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers