PETALING JAYA: Malaysians are pitching in to help their fellow countrymen affected by the massive floods ravaging the east coast states with cash donations and essential goods.
CIMB Foundation is setting up collection centres for Malaysians to drop off essential and useful items to be donated to the victims in the east coast. CIMB Group said the collection centres would be set up in Bangsar Village 1, Jaya Shopping Centre, Menara CIMB in KL Sentral and Menara Bumiputera Commerce in Jalan Raja Laut.
All 13 member banks of the Association of Banks in Malaysia (ABM) with operations in Kelantan, Pahang and Terengganu as well as Perak, Perlis and Sabah are also offering help.
ABM executive director Chuah Mei Lin said in a statement that the assistance included deferring home loan repayments, restructuring business loans without incurring fees or granting a temporary suspension of repayment instalments and waiver of charges for the replacement of ATM cards, cheque books and passbooks which had been destroyed in the floods.
Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Minister Datuk Ismail Sabri Yaakob said Agrobank would restructure loan repayments of its customers affected by the floods.
Mercy Malaysia has called for donations via its website and also welcomes volunteers to join its teams in Kelantan and Terengganu.
Tenaga Nasional Bhd is sending 12,000kg of food and clothes to the flood victims in Kelantan, in partnership with the 70th Regiment Engineers. The army has also opened a 24-hour centre at the RMAF base in Subang to receive donations of food supplies.
Meanwhile, the Fire and Rescue Department has opened its headquarters in Putrajaya for donors to drop off food and clothes.
The Young Buddhist Association of Malaysia (YBAM) has started a flood relief fund campaign that will last until Jan 17.
Political parties are also in the act, with Wanita Umno, together with the women wings of Barisan Nasional component parties, launching the “Misi Sayang” drive to collect funds. Umno Youth will also be launching its own flood relief fund.
For Proton car owners affected by the floods, they can enjoy free labour service for car repairs and a 30% discount on replacement parts.
In a statement, Proton CEO Datuk Abdul Harith Abdullah said the “Proton We-Care Prihatin Banjir” programme, which would run until March 15 next year, would also include free inspection service, valuation of damages and towing assistance from the affected locations to selected Proton service centres.