JASIN: The 135 flood victims who were evacuated after their homes in Bukit Senggeh, Selandar and Pondok Kempas were flooded on Saturday night were allowed to return home on Sunday.
Malacca National Security Council assistant secretary, Jafri Mohamed said the flood waters subsided on Sunday and the 30 families can now return home.
The families had been evacuated to the Bukit Senggeh and Selandar community halls, Sekolah Kebangsaan Selandar and Al-Hasanah Mosque, here.
"The floods were caused by heavy rain while the river in the area is too small to cope with the increased volume of water," he said.
Jafri also said that an embankment in Jalan Dahlia 6, Taman Bunga Raya, Central Melaka collapsed on Saturday evening following a heavy downpour.
"From our observation until today, there is still some earth movements at the embankment but there is no evacuation of residents,” said Jafri.
He added that the Social Welfare Department was ready for any evacuation.
Jafri also said a Mineral and Geoscience Department officer was monitoring soil structures in the area. - Bernama
Did you find this article insightful?