KOTA KINABALU: The sea curfew in Sabah’s east coast will be extended until Sept 2, said Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abd Rahman.
“However, it will be now be a 10-hour daily sea curfew from 7pm to 5am this time and not 6pm to 6am as before”, he said in a press conference in Lahad Datu on Tuesday.
He said this was the third two-week extension since its inception on July 19.
The curfew is to safeguard the east coast and prevent cross border kidnappings as well as other criminal activities from occurring, Jalaluddin explained.
“I have written a letter to the Home Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Dr Zahid Hamidi about this and he had agreed for the changes in time,” he added.
He said he was also satisfied with the outcome of the curfew, and hoped residents in the east coast especially fishermen would continue to give their support to the security officials on the curfew.
Jalaluddin said a total of 14 local fishermen aged between 20 and 40 had been charged for contravening the curfew order.
“All were jailed 10 days and slapped with a RM500 fine,” he said.
Sabah Eastern Security Command (Esscom) commander Datuk Abdul Rashid Harun who was also present at the press conference said the curfew had made it easier for security forces to carry out their duties in the areas affected.
Those caught contravening the curfew could be liable to a jail term of up to six months or a fine of up to RM500.
The curfew order covers six districts - Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Semporna, Kunak and Tawau.