Teresa wants sedition case transferred to High Court


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 10 Jun 2014

KUALA LUMPUR: Seputeh MP Teresa Kok wants her sedition case over a controversial Chinese New Year video transferred to the High Court.

Counsel Sankara Nair, applying for his client’s transfer, said by starting the trial at the High Court the matter could be appealed all the way to the apex court, if need be.

Under Section 417 of the Criminal Procedure Code, the High Court has power to transfer cases if some unusually difficult questions of law were to arise.

Sankara told the Sessions Court the case also involved constitutional issues on which only a superior court could decide.

Judge Norsharidah Awang ordered that a formal application be made.

She fixed Sept 2 to hear submissions from both parties, including from the prosecution that is represented by DPPs Muhamad Iskandar Ahmad and P. Viknesvaran.

The alleged offence occurred at an apartment in Jalan Bangsar here at 9am on Feb 1.

The charge, under Section 4(1)(b) of the Sedition Act 1948, provides for a jail term of up to three years, a RM5,000 fine or both.

If convicted, Kok risks losing her parliamentary seat as an MP is disqualified if sentenced to a jail term of not less than one year or fined not less than RM2,000.

The DAP national vice-chairman was alleged to have uploaded the video clip titled Onederful Malaysia CNY 2014 on YouTube on Jan 27.

Her 11-minute satirical clip caused a stir among government supporters who saw Kok’s video as an affront to Malaysia and its leaders, resulting in violent threats against her.

The video had poked fun on a variety of issues, such as the education system and the Sulu terrorist intrusion in Lahad Datu last year.

On May 6, Kok claimed trial to the alleged offence.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site