PETALING JAYA: The recent kidnappings off Sabah have riled up Penampang MP Darell Leiking who called for an "all-out war" against the "terrorists."
“We have been made to look like fools and weaklings. They come into the country with weapons and army fatigues and they wreak chaos, havoc and fear. They are not mere kidnappers, but terrorists.
“Enough is enough. We shouldn’t show them any kindness. They should be shot on sight,” he told the Star Online.
Leiking was commenting on the latest kidnapping of Yang Zai Lin of Guangzhou who was taken from the Wonderful Terrace Fish Farm on Pulau Baik at about 2.45am Tuesday by five gunmen believed to be from southern Philippines.
Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) personnel, including air and sea units, had pursued the abductors who opened fire and escaped to the islands in southern Philippines.
Leiking said there were serious concerns since the government had spent millions of ringgit to establish Esscom.
In the 2014 Budget tabled last year, Esscom was allocated an RM75mil to boost security along Sabah’s east coast.
"Esscom has to give a full explanation on how these terrorists managed to slip past them. These incidents are a slap to Esscom, the government and the people of Sabah,” he said.
Leiking said the “terrorists” would have very likely received help and intelligence from people holding Malaysian documentation in Sabah.
He added that the full report on the Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) on illegal immigrants in Sabah should be released immediately because of public interest.
The report is due to be presented to the Agong on May 21.
The latest kidnapping incident comes a month after Chinese tourist Gao Huayun, 29, and Filipina resort worker Marcy Dayawan, 40, were seized from a resort in Sabah.
Last November, gunmen kidnapped a Taiwanese couple holidaying in Pom-Pom Island, killing the husband and freeing her after 36 days on the main Sulu island of Jolo.
Did you find this article insightful?