KLUANG: The Federal Government will be looking into expanding Esscom (Sabah Eastern Security Command) to the coastline of Sarawak to strengthen the security and safety of the nation.
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said that extending Esscom’s reach to Sarawak would further enhance the security along the Sulu straits, which pose a threat.
“Looking back, a year ago, we overcame the intrusion and successfully restored peace but now we have to look forward and find ways to make sure that history does not repeat itself,” he told reporters at a press conference here on Saturday.
Hishammuddin also said that the ministry would be working with Philippines and Brunei to ensure the safety and stability of the Asean region.
Esscom, which was launched following the Sulu attack last year, currently monitors a coastline of 1,400km including the districts of Kudat, Tawau, Kunak, Sandakan and Lahad Datu in Sabah.