Wan Junaidi: Kok will be charged if there is evidence


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 04 Feb 2014

KUCHING: The police will be thorough in their investigation of Seputeh MP Teresa Kok’s video clip, which has been said to be defamatory, said Deputy Home Minister Datuk Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar.

He said the case would be brought to court if police found that Kok had breached the law and the Attorney-General was convinced that there was sufficient evidence against her.

“But if there is no breach of the law, the A-G will say no to further action. Until then, nobody should say the police and the A-G are weak because if the case goes to court and is thrown out, the A-G and the police will look foolish,” Bernama quoted him as saying.

The 11.39-minute video titled Onederful Malaysia CNY2014 portrayed Kok as a feng shui host interviewing three panellists on their predictions.

The “panelists” poked fun on a variety of issues such as the education system in Malaysia and the Sabah intrusion last year.

Kok claimed that the video was a satirical one and that it did not insult anyone.

In KUALA LUMPUR, members of the Malaysia Muslim People’s Coalition lodged a police report against Kok at the Dang Wangi station.

Its president Amir Amsaa Alla Pitchay urged swift action against Kok, saying that ridiculing the country and its leadership should not be tolerated.

Wanita MCA chief Datuk Heng Seai Kie described it as offensive and detrimental to the country’s image.

She said releasing the video during Chinese New Year was the “lowest form of disrespect” to the Chinese community and its culture,

“The video serves to only create enmity, hatred and destroy the harmonious atmosphere among communities,” she said.

“This is already evident from public response to the video which veers on communal divide.”

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across the site