SEREMBAN: Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan criticised the heads of the Negri Sembilan Islamic affairs department branch offices for carrying out their duties unilaterally.
He said yesterday these officials would face disciplinary action, including dismissal for appointing imam, siak (mosque committee member) and bilal (man who makes the calls for prayers) in mosques within their jurisdiction without permission.
“These officers violated a state policy. They operate as if they are running their own fiefdoms. They must be removed,” he said.
Mohamad said the state government, which is responsible for the appointments of religious officials, including imam, siak and bilal, had deferred naming the new appointees until March 31 to allow the relevant agencies such as the Malaysian Anti- Corruption Commission and the Insolvency Department to carry out a vetting exercise.
The tenure of the current batch of religious officials was to have expired on Dec 31 last year.
Mohamad said the heads did not even seek the views of the state religious department director before issuing appointments letters.
“They conveniently terminated the services of those they did not take a liking to and appointed their own candidates.
“They did not even send copies of the letters of appointment to any religious or government body,” he said, adding that the new appointments would be annulled.
On a separate matter, Mohamad said the state Umno will set up consumer teams in Negri Sembilan to monitor the prices of essential items and household goods.
“We will mobilise party members to work on this as profiteering has become rampant.
“I have directed the state Umno to register a body with the Registrar of Societies as we want the irresponsible traders to know that we mean business,” he added.
Mohamad said the state Umno would also follow up with the state Domestic Trade and Consumerism Department on the status of reports lodged.