KUALA TERENGGANU: A woman saved her family members including her invalid mother and aunt from a fire that occurred when they were asleep at their home in Kampung Ladang, here.
Normaliza Mohamad, 45, was awakened by the smell of smoke at 11.20pm on Thursday and found the kitchen on fire.
She wasted no time in waking up her sister and three daughters before getting help to carry both her invalid mother, Alang Jaleha Zakaria, 67, and aunt, Hasnah Ismail, 77, to safety.
"I shouted for help and called out to my sister and three daughters, and by then, my neighbours had dashed into the house to help carry my ailing mother and aunt," she said.
Her mother and aunt were rushed to the Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital for breathing difficulty.
State Fire and Rescue Operations assistant director Khairul Ariffin Che Ramli said 56 firemen took 30 minutes to bring the fire under control.
He said the fire destroyed two houses, adding that the cause of the mishap and the damage had yet to be ascertained. - Bernama