Five schools in Sabah still closed


  • Nation
  • Friday, 17 Jan 2014

SK St Catherine in Inanam at the outskirts of Kota Kinabalu was under about a metre of water at the height of Wednesday's flooding which receded later in the evening.

KOTA KINABALU: Five out of 12 primary schools hit by flash floods have remained closed as state Education Department officials assess the damage.

Sabah Education department director Datuk Jame Alip yesterday said four of the five schools with 512 pupils should begin classes by tomorrow but expected SK Bawang in Tamparuli to remain closed for a while longer as one of its wooden blocks was damaged by mudslides.

“We are considering putting up pre-fabricated cabins as a temporary measure,’’ he said, adding that the

school still had another block which might be able to cater to the 124 students temporarily.

However, he said that the Public Works Department had advised them that the location of the current SK Bawang was not safe in view of its hillside location.

He added that his department would propose to move it to a new location as a long-term solution.

He said all affected schools had been asked to hold additional classes to replace days missed.

Some 11 primary schools with about 2,000 pupils in Tuaran, Kota Belud, Sipitang and Kota Kinabalu were closed yesterday after incessant rains wreaked havoc in several parts of the state and triggering three landslips along rural roads.

Flood waters receded late yesterday and PWD contractors cleared roads made unpassable by landslips, fallen boulders and trees.

The latest round of flooding has triggered calls for the state government to set up a flood mitigation task force to study ways to resolve the problem.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Environment , floods , sabah

   

Next In Nation

Empty syringe issue: Police urge recipients to lodge reports
S'gor Health Dept ramping up preparations in hospitals to face surge in Covid-19 cases
Three MPs among Covid-19 cases detected in Parliament ahead of special sitting
Muhyiddin: NRP's success needs support from all parties
Drive-through durian: Kota Baru goldsmith gives away 1.2 tonnes of king of fruits
No changes to NRP thresholds for now, says Muhyiddin
Covid-19: Three MPs test positive, four more close contacts, says report
Ismail Sabri: 49 premises closed for breaching Covid-19 SOPs
Covid-19: Nine localities in Perak, Pahang, Kedah, Sabah under EMCO from July 26, says Ismail Sabri
Sports, social activities among privileges being considered for those fully vaccinated, says PM

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers