Ahmad Najadi murder: Taxi driver testifies he met suspect on two occasions

  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 15 Jan 2014

KUALA LUMPUR: The taxi driver who allegedly ferried the suspected killer of Arab-Malaysian Development Bank founder Hussain Ahmad Najadi testified in a Sessions Court here that he met the suspect and the latter's driver on two separate occasions here.

Chew Siang Chee said he met the suspect known as Ah Kwan and his driver Ah Meng at a mamak shop in Jalan Ceylon and at a Chinese temple.

Chew, 46, was replying to a question by deputy public prosecutor Wan Shaharuddin Wan Ladin in a trial of his defence before judge Azwarnida Affandi Wednesday.

When asked by the DPP if they had planned during the meetings to shoot someone, Chew answered that he disagreed.

He also said he knew that the killer was known as Ah Kwan and people called him "Sei Ngan Chai" (bespectacled man). 

Questioned on Ah Meng's role in this case, Chew replied, "Ah Kwan introduced him as his driver".

Responding to another question whether the temple (which they met) was the place where the killing took place, he replied, "No".

On the pistol found in a post box at Desa Cindaimas condominium, Chew said that Ah Kwan had framed him.

He also said that he and Ah Kwan were once had a quarrel over money.

Earlier, during examination-in-chief by his counsel R. Ramesh, Chew said he was not involved in the murder case.

He said that he was arrested on July 30.

Chew was ordered on Wednesday to enter his defence after the prosecution had succeeded in establishing prima facie case against him.

A total of nine prosecution witnesses were called to give their testimony.

Chew had claimed trial to illegally possessing a pistol, a magazine and four bullets when he was charged on Aug 16, last year.

He was accused of having a Walther pistol and a magazine at Desa Cindaimas condominium on Jalan Kuchai Lama at 5.45pm on Aug 3.

If convicted, he could be jailed up to 14 years and whipped not less than six times under Section 8 of the Firearms Act (Increased Penalties) 1971.

He faces a second charge of having four bullets the same day.

If found guilty, he can be jailed up to seven years or fined up to RM10,000, or both under Section 8(a) of the Arms Act 1960.

On July 29, last year, Hussain, 76, was shot dead while his wife was seriously injured when they emerged from the Kuan Yin Temple in Lorong Ceylon.

A gunman who crept from behind, fired randomly at Hussain and his 50-year-old wife at close range, killing the renowned banker on the spot near a car park.

The hearing continues on Jan 27 for submissions.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Nation

Steering nation towards prosperity
Good plan, but it’s the proper implementation that counts, say MPs
PM assures high-quality living
10-minute police response time in pipeline under plan
Lifting border control under study
Cruise to nowhere to set sail soon
Online gambling ring raked in RM2.4mil
Millions lost to forex scheme
Sampan drug trafficker busted near illegal jetty
Unexpected delivery sees baby dying in toilet

Stories You'll Enjoy