ADVERTISEMENT

67 villages in Beaufort swamped in 2m floods


BEAUFORT (Sabah): Sixty-seven villages here were flooded under two metres of water following heavy rain since Friday.

Beaufort assistant district officer Mohd Shaid Othman said five relief centres had been opened, namely at Dewan Pa Musa, Dewan Azizah, Dewan Kampung Bangkalak, Dewan Kampung Suasa and Dewan Luagan.

However, only 30 families from the flood-hit villages have been evacuated to the relief centres so far, he told reporters here yesterday.

Mohd Shaid said several main roads have also been closed to the public, including near Bingkul, Limbawang, Lawa, Melulugus, Mempagar, Binunuk, Gadung and Kelabu.

Meanwhile, Tenom flood operations room spokesman said the flash floods which hit the district following heavy downpour last Wednesday had subsided and the 14 relief centres had also been closed.

He said at least 1,500 villagers from 31 villages in Tenom and Kemabong were affected, including Kampung Ponontomon, Enubai, Saga Laut, Pantongan Saga, Pantongan Sapong, Bangkulin Lama, Labut, Gumisi Laut, Angalor, Mamantong, Kalasasan, Batu-Batu and Tumantalik.

However, he said the flood operations room would remain open.

In Dungun, the Terengganu state government will ensure all schools affected by floods will be cleaned and school equipment replaced so they could operate when the new school session starts on Jan 1.

State Education, Higher Education, Innovation and Special Functions Committee chairman, Ghazali Taib said all schools affected by floods were being cleaned.

A total of 79 schools in three districts in the state, namely in Kemaman, Dungun and Hulu Terengganu were affected.

Nineteen were inundated, 33 were used as evacuation centres and 27 were cut off due to connecting roads being swamped by an overflowing river.

In Kemaman, 113 flood victims from 23 families at Kampung Labohan, Kemasik were moved to relief centres after heavy rain since yesterday morning. — Bernama

Environment , floods , Sabah

   

ADVERTISEMENT