LOST MyKad are falling into the hands of foreigners while some are being sold by syndicates.
Deputy Home Minister Datuk Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar said the ministry did not deny that cards lost due to negligence had been misused by foreigners.
“The number of lost MyKad has been increasing from year to year since 2010.
“Up to Oct 31 this year, a total of 565,157 went missing,” he said when answering a supplementary question from Datuk Dr Makin @ Marcus Mojigoh (BN-Putatan).
Wan Junaidi said a total of 429,137 cards were lost last year, with 413,068 cards in 2011 and 397,000 in 2010.
He said the ministry would undertake drastic measures to overcome the problem of missing MyKad.
“Such measures may have legal implications and this proposal will be finalised after referring to the Attorney-General’s Chambers,” he said.
Wan Junaidi also denied that the ministry issued citizenship and MyKad to foreigners as they were only given to qualified individuals.
On a suggestion by Darell Leiking (PKR-Penampang) to withdraw all MyKad in Sabah and then reissue them to weed out fake documents, the deputy minister said the Royal Commission of Inquiry on illegal immigrants was formed to solve this problem.
Datuk Abdul Rahman Mohamad (BN-Lipis) then suggested that companies should use scanners to check the authenticity of the MyKad of employees following the alleged shooting of an Ambank officer by a security guard from Sulawesi who had a fake MyKad.
Wan Junaidi said the ministry had ordered the police to conduct checks on all security guard companies nationwide.
“To date, checks were done on over 100,150 security guards and 283 premises were raided.
“Only locals and Nepal citizens with military background can work as guards.
“The permits to use and carry firearms are only given to locals,” he said.