Council launches campaign to help Haiyan victims


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 16 Nov 2013

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Youth Council and its 40 affiliates have launched a campaign called “We Care Filipino” to help victims of Typhoon Haiyan which destroyed parts of the Philippines earlier this month.

“This relief mission is to urge the public to contribute generously towards the victims,” said council president Mohamed Maliki Moha-med Rapiee.

“As a neighbouring country, and a part of Asean, the Philippines should not be left to suffer alone,” he said.

Mohamed Maliki said the council was appealing for cash aid, saying that the money would go into funding a relief mission and providing much-needed items such as water bottles, blankets, packet foods and medication by early December.

“We are scheduled to send the first group of 10 volunteers to the Philippines by the end of this week,” he said. “Thirty more will be sent by November end.”

Mohamed Maliki said 200 volunteers were expected to be in the Philippines by the end of the year.

He called on other bodies, including the Public and Private Higher Educational Institutions (IPTA/IPTS), private companies, NGOs and political parties to contribute to the humanitarian relief mission.

Cheques should be made out to Tabung Kemanusiaan Majlis Belia Malaysia (Maybank account num-ber: 564025403782).

Donations can also be sent to Wisma MBM in Bandar Tun Razak. For details, call 03-91732761/63.

On a separate matter, Mohamed Maliki is calling on youngsters to attend a free concert by the Al Farabi Band, which will be held on Dec 12, from 8-11pm at the International Youth Centre in Cheras.

“It will be held in conjunction with the launch of the band’s new album World New Ethnic.”

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Police looking for witnesses of accident involving elderly man
Decision to postpone special Dewan Rakyat sitting made based on science, health data, says DPM
"Nasi ganja" chopper probe over, investigation paper handed to AGC, says Perak police chief
Lit mosquito coil sparks fire that razes three wooden houses
Covid-19: Discreet social activities, travel without permission contribute to spike in T'ganu cases, says MB
MAIPs orders mosques in Kuala Perlis to limit activites, tighten SOPs
Durian party: Cops to call up cosmetics entrepreneur for alleged breach of Covid-19 SOPs
Sabah cops launch manhunt after four detainees with Covid-19 flee from quarantine centre
Covid-19: Nearly 520,000 vaccine jabs given on Saturday (July 31), says Health Minister
Covid-19: Perak expected to see a surge in cases in coming weeks, says Health DG

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers