MASwings chief: Twin Otter that crashed was airworthy

The damaged Twin Otter after crashing into a house in Kudat.

KOTA KINABALU: The Twin Otter airplane that crashed in Kudat on Thursday afternoon was fit to fly and in good condition, MASwings chairman Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said.

Ahmad Jauhari, who extended his deepest condolences to the families of the two people who died in the crash, said pilot Captain Wan Mohd Abd Amir Wan Yahya had more than 4,700 flying hours and had been with the company since August 2011.

He said an investigation will be carried out by the authorities, and Malaysia Airlines and MASwings will fully co-operated and assist in every possible way.

"We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the deceased and those involved in the accident. We are doing everything we can to assist them in this extremely difficult time," he told reporters here late Thursday before leaving for Kudat, some 190km north of here.

He said Malaysia Airlines and MASwings will continue to monitor the situation at the crash site and provide information relating to the flight itself and updates on steps being taken.

Jauhari said their utmost priority was to ensure the complete well-being of their passengers, crew and other affected parties.

MAS, he said, would be providing assistance to the victims of MASWings flight MH3002, which was carrying 14 passengers and two pilots.

"Out of the 16 onboard, 15 were Malaysians and one is Filipino national," Jauhari added.

A 24-hour Call Centre service has been activated. Families of passengers who were onboard can call 603-7884 1234 for further inquiries.

"We have also set up our Go Team in Kudat to look after their needs and keep them as quickly informed as possible," he added.

He said all other MASwings scheduled flight operations were continuing as usual.

Two people were killed and five others injured when a MASwings Twin Otter went off course as it approached the runway and crashed into a house in Kudat.

Co-pilot Marc Joel Bansh suffered multiple fractures and head injuries and was airlifted by helicopter to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kota Kinabalu. However, the 22-year-old died on arrival at the hospital.

A 69-year-old passenger, Tan Ah Chai, died at the hospital two hours after the 2.5pm crash.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Next In Nation

Help us by staying safe, say frontliners
King advises people to stay home to flatten the curve
‘We have to be on guard’
‘We don’t want to decide who lives and who dies’
MCO 3.0 a crucial move at a critical time
Health DG concerned virus spreading fast
Weaving a Raya success
Beware of surprise visits from cops
Hajiji: Value sacrifices of frontliners
Raya tomorrow

Stories You'll Enjoy