PETALING JAYA: KL Gangster 2 director Syamsul Yusof vows to give up making films – following the movie being pirated before its release in cinemas.
He is the second director to do so after Hans Isaac did the same in mid-August. Hans was disappointed when his latest film Lemak Kampung Santan, released on Hari Raya, did not do well.
Hans is now focusing completely on theatre and his newest production, Lawak Ke Der 3, is set to be staged at Istana Budaya next month.
Syamsul’s decision was revealed by his father and KL Gangster 2 producer Datuk Yusof Haslam.
“Syamsul is so emotionally disturbed, he said that he does not want to make films any more.
“He is a stubborn person, if he says he wants to do it, he will,” said Yusof.
Syamsul has twice won the best director award at the Malaysian Film Festival for KL Gangster in 2011 and Evolusi KL Drift in 2010.
Yusof said that the unfortunate incident of KL Gangster 2 being uploaded on YouTube and sold in night markets in the form of pirated discs had affected his son.
Father and son are now facing a possible major loss following the piracy, as the new film had cost about RM4.5mil to produce.
During the media preview of the film at GSC One Utama two days ago, Syamsul was not with his father, the cast and crew.
Both had openly expressed their anger when over 70% of the film was uploaded on the Internet last week. A police report has been lodged.
KL Gangster 2 will be released in cinemas on Oct 3. The movie tells the story of two brothers, Malek (Aaron Aziz) and Jai (Adi Putra), who become involved in gangsterism after their father’s death 10 years earlier.
Together with their mother (Ku Faridah), the three live in constant fear when a group of gangsters keeps harassing them to pay their late father’s debts. Jai becomes wild, ready to go to any lengths to change his lifestyle.