KOTA BARU: An 11-year-old boy’s experiment with fireworks nearly caused him to become blind after his concoction of fireworks carbide and sand in a bottle exploded in his face at Kampung Padang Embun in Tendong, Pasir Mas.
Mohd Nor Hakim Mohd Nawi, a Year Five pupil of SK Bechah Durian, is almost blind on his right eye and has serious facial injuries.
His father Mohd Nawi Wan Sulaiman, 57, said the incident took place about 400m from their home when Mohd Nor Hakim was playing with five of his friends.
“I was not at home but what I understand is that my son wanted to be creative by taking out the carbide from the fireworks and put it into the bottle to have an effect as sparklers.
“He then mixed it with sand and had used a newspaper to burn at the end of the bottle but instead the bottle exploded.
“When I came home I sent him to the hospital,” he said at the Raja Perempuan Zainab II hospital.
Hospital director Datuk Dr Ghazali Hasni Md Hassan said the boy needed 14 stitches on his face and was treated for burns on his eyes and mouth and his sight on the right eye may be affected.
“We will have to wait for the eye specialist’s diagnosis of his condition to know the extent of the damage on his eyes,” he said.
Dr Ghazali Hasni said this was the second case involving fireworks during the fasting month and advised parents to monitor their children to ensure they did not manipulate fireworks at their whims and fancies.