Former exco members lose car prices


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 13 Jul 2013

SEREMBAN: Negri Sembilan executive council members not retained after the May 5 general election will not be allowed to buy their former official Proton Perdana V6 executive cars at a nominal price.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said they would, however, be allowed to bid for their cars, which would be offered at market value.

“They will not be given special discounts to purchase these cars at nominal value as was the practice before my time,” said Mohamad.

Only three of the 10 state exco members from the previous state administration were retained.

Mohamad first stopped the practice of allowing former exco members to buy government cars at low prices after the 2008 general election. However, he had allowed them to keep the official registration numbers. The move then was part of the state administration’s austerity measures.

It is learnt that the present fleet of Perdana vehicles have been in service for more than seven years.

To a question if the state government was planning to replace the existing Perdana cars, Mohamad said options were being considered.

“We are in the midst of it and it would include the Perdana cars used by other senior government officials such as the state secretary and other eligible ex-officios,” he said.

When asked about the vehicle type that was being considered, as the production of the model has stopped, Mohamad said it would likely follow the Federal Govern-ment’s policy.

Media reports, quoting sources last month, said that federal ministers and deputy ministers would likely be allocated Honda Accord cars following a Cabinet decision to phase out the Perdana.

The Honda Accord is assembled locally in the DRB-Hicom plant.

However, heads of government agencies and senior officers would still be using the Proton Inspira allocated to them after their Perdana models were phased out in 2011.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Government , Negri Sembilan

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Top Glove says it will improve workers' accommodations
Speaker: Pasir Salak MP calling Syed Saddiq a 'budak' just a joke, no bad intentions
Covid-19: Two new clusters detected in Sabah, says Health DG
Covid-19: 1,472 new cases, three fatalities bring death toll to 363 (updated)
Covid-19: Cases up by 1,472, bringing total to 67,169 (updated daily)
Pakistani retailers plead not guilty for bribery in Sabah
GOF 3rd Battalion: Mission is complete, but we leave with a heavy heart
Police nab 311 for various SOP violations
Shouting match in Parliament after deputy minister accused of showing middle finger
Covid-19: No new cases detected at USM hospital

Stories You'll Enjoy