GEORGE TOWN: The Penang Malaysian Anti-Corruption Agency (MACC) has recommended to the Attorney-General to close all seven cases of alleged vote buying in the state during the 13th general election, due to a lack of evidence.
Its director Datuk Samarajoo Manikam said details obtained from the witnesses did not show any offence against the MACC Act 2009.
"Therefore, we recommended to the Attorney-General late last month to close all seven cases, and I believe they have accepted our recommendations," he told reporters after a dialogue with heads of department and political parties in a hotel here Tuesday.
He said some of the witnesses could not provide details of who issued the alleged vouchers and how they were being distributed.
He said some of them claimed to have received between RM100 to RM200.
"The alleged offences had taken place in makeshift areas and were short-lived because by the time our officers went there, the persons concern were all gone.
"Some of the alleged distributors were foreign citizens," he said.
On May 13, seven Pakatan Rakyat candidates who lost in the 13th general election lodged reports with the Penang Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) over alleged vote-buying.
They were PKR's Datuk Abdul Halim Hussain (Teluk Bahang), Mohd Tuah Ismail (Pulau Betong), Norhayati Jaafar (Teluk Air Tawar) and Ahmad Zakiyuddin Abd Rahman (Pinang Tunggal) and Muhammad Bakhtiar Wan Chik (Balik Pulau parliamentary seat), and PAS' Asnah Hashim (Bayan Lepas) and Rosidi Hussain (Penaga).
Most lost their seats by fewer than 1,000 votes.