PETALING JAYA: Pakatan Rakyat has decided to gather at Padang Merbok in Kuala Lumpur on June 15 for their latest Blackout 505 rally.
In a press conference, PKR strategy director Rafizi Ramli said that they would heed police warnings to stay away from Dataran Merdeka and gather at Padang Merbok about 1km away.
"Our decision to organise Blackout 505 at Padang Merbok takes into consideration the views of the police not to have peaceful assemblies in Dataran Merdeka, although we think that it is the most appropriate place for us to gather.
"Padang Merbok should be mutually beneficial to us," he said.
However, he added, should the police give gathering at Dataran Merdeka the green light they would do so.
"But to avoid lengthy exchanges, we'll just stick to Padang Merbok," he said.
He added that as per the Peaceful Assembly Act, they would notify the police and City Hall on Wednesday, 10 days before the rally is held.
PAS assistant secretary-general Syed Azman Syed Nawawi said PAS would give its full support, denying reports that the party had been lukewarm in its enthusiasm for the past Blackout 505 rallies.
"The safety of the participants will be our utmost concern," he said.
The notice to the police and City Hall will be signed by Rafizi, Syed Azman and DAP national organizing secretary Anthony Loke.
They also reiterated that top on their list of demands to the Government is to have all the Election Commission members resign immediately with interim commission members appointed with the agreement of Pakatan and civil societies.
Did you find this article insightful?