Royal bodyguard injured in Phuket attack


  • Nation
  • Friday, 31 May 2013

ALOR SETAR: Wisma Putra is investigating the reported attack on a bodyguard of a senior member of the Kedah royal family at a Thai resort.

Mohd Faizal Razali, Malaysian consul-general in Songkhla, said his office was gathering information about the reported attack on the Kedah Council of Regency chairman Tan Sri Tunku Annuar Sultan Badilishah’s bodyguard Sobri Mohd Said in Phuket.

“We only learnt about it from the local media. We are trying to gather more information,” Mohd Faizal Razali said.

Sobri was injured in the attack at the Patong Millennium Resort early yesterday morning.

The Sultan of Kedah Tuanku Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah’s chief private secretary, Datuk Syed Unan Mashri Syed Abdullah, said he was informed of the incident yesterday morning.

He said he was told that only Sobri was injured in the attack.

“So far, I have not received any other details of the incident. Tunku Annuar was in Phuket for a private visit,” he said when contacted.

Tunku Annuar, 74, is the brother of Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah.

Syed Unan said Tunku Annuar’s entourage was supposed to return to the country today.

It is learnt that the assailants had mistaken Sobri for Tunku Annuar in the attack which occurred just after midnight.

According to Phuketwan.com, a news site highlighting reports about tourism, restaurants and nightlife in Phuket, Tunku Annuar arrived on the island on May 27 and was photographed being presented with a memorial plaque at the well-known Phuket show, FantaSea, on Wednesday night.

The website also claimed that Sobri had switched rooms with Tunku Annuar after suspecting something was amiss at the resort.

Sobri was said to be walking towards the other room when the assailants pounced on him. They then bound and beat him up before fleeing the scene. He needed several stitches on his head.

It is learnt that the entourage booked 10 rooms at the Patong Millennium Resort.

A Phuket Millennium Resort staff member said the hotel’s operations were not affected by the incident.

“Our management is currently helping the authorities to investigate the incident, so we cannot issue any statements,” said the staff member.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Government , security personal , attack , phuket

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

INTERACTIVE: Vaccination showing goods results abroad but experts warn against complacency
Couple sentenced to death for murdering daughter in Terengganu
Malaysian woman, Pakistani man found dead in KL flat
Larry Sng, Steven Choong sacked from PKR
Muhyiddin: Declaration of Emergency not due to politics, appropriate move in response to health crisis
Muhyiddin shows his mettle in his first year as Prime Minister
Kedah MB gets his Covid-19 vaccination, urges public to have positive attitude to immunisation programme
Deputy Speaker: Parliament not reconvening on March 8
Covid-19: Nine more clusters reported, total cases breach 300,000
Khairy: Ministry monitoring allegations of Covid-19 vaccine queue-jumping

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers