BELAGA: Effective immediately, only Belaga district police chief, DSP Bakar Sebau can issue statistics of express boat victims who survived and are still missing in the tragedy in Sungai Rajang on Tuesday.
Sarawak Deputy Police Commissioner SAC Datuk Law Hong Soon said Bakar who is field commander for the search and rescue operation is more aware of the real situation.
"I urge all parties not to speculate on statistics of victims saved or still missing.
“After this, don't accept statement from other people except the Belaga police chief," he told Bernama, here on Thursday.
Law did not deny the fact that not all the information received was inaccurate adding the move was made to avoid conflicting statistics.
"The list of victims saved and missing keep changing.
“The number may rise or drop based on the police report received," he said.
Earlier, Bakar said the number of survivors on Thursday stood at 186, while 12 are still missing and one body was found.
However there was confusion as two victims reported missing are safe at Berundang Longhouse, Nanga Ensawi, about two hour boat ride from Kapit.
Report that they are safe was made by family member Connie Menai at Kapit police headquarters. - Bernama
Police deny two bodies found in Tuesday's express boat tragedy
Search for survivors of capsized express boat continues
Belaga not equipped for emergencies
Express boat capsizes in Balui River, two bodies found so far (updated)
Penans dismantle blockade of access road to Murum Dam site