FAM blames lack of security for Pahang-Johor Darul Takzim fiasco, replay announced (UPDATED)


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 29 May 2013

PETALING JAYA: FA of Malaysia (FAM) competition committee chairman Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin blamed lack of security after the FA Cup second-leg semi-final match between Pahang and Johor Darul Takzim at the Darul Makmur Stadium was called off on Tuesday.

The match was delayed when the stadium with 32,500 capacity, could not accommodate the huge turnout of fans, believed to be around 40,000, causing them to spill-over and occupy the track area.

Hamidin who chaired an almost five hour special meeting at the Wisma FAM revealed that the overcrowding of the stadium was caused by four broken stadium gates and the security forces were slow to react.

The competition committee have decided to replay the match at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil on Saturday at 4.15pm.

The committee also fined Pahang FA and Johor Darul Takzim were fined RM100,000 and RM20,000 fine respectively for their involvement of the match suspension.

Meanwhile Johor FA president Tunku Ibrahim Sultan Ibrahim suggested it is better for the rematch between Johor Darul Takzim and Pahang to be played behind closed doors.

He said that the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) should rethink its decision of allowing fans to watched the game.

"The situation between both set of fans is still tense after what had happen in Kuantan.

"I respect every individual in the FAM but they must think about security of the fans," he said in a press conference held at Istana Bukit Pelangi here. ENDS

The match was postponed after more than 7,000 fans were allowed to sit on the pitch before the game.

The match, which was supposed to start at 8.45pm, was held up for more than hour when Pahang officials were shocked to see fans seating beside the pitch.

The Sultan of Pahang and FAM president Sultan Ahmad Shah - who was at the game - also went down the pitch to see the fans and query officials.

Once the crowd was under control and some were told to go to the stands, Kuantan deputy police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohd Jasmani Yusoff announced that the game could be held.

However, while Pahang players entered the pitch, Johor players did not. This agitated the fans, and they threw firecrackers and objects into the pitch.

At 10.30pm, FAM deputy secretary Datuk Ahmad Fuad Daud announced that the game was postponed.

Once the match was officially postponed, things became even more chaotic when fans started throwing objects into the pitch.

Some fans were injured by the incident as they were pelted with stones, bottles and firecrackers.

Pahang FA is expected to face severe repercussions for the incident.

Meanwhile, in KUANTAN, Pahang police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Sharifuddin Ab Ghani said five reports have been lodged on mischief, causing damage to properties, so far.

He said a Noreasah Omar, 51, from Johor Baru had lodged a report claiming that her car was found to be damaged after the match was postponed.

She had parked her car near the stadium about 5pm and found the rear windscreen cracked, the doors dented and the front and rear lamps smashed at about 12.30am Wednesday.

DCP Sharifuddin said there were four other reports of similar incidents around the stadium.

He said the ruckus was due to overcrowding, causing spectators to spill over onto the track around the pitch.

"It is against FAM's rules for spectators to be so near the football pitch. The police had to act to control the situation and ensure the safety of spectators and players alike," said DCP Sharifuddin when contacted.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online