PETALING JAYA: The state government has decided to cancel the construction of a condominium building near Batu Caves.
Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim said the decision was made for the people’s safety and to protect the environment.
“I hope this decision will be positively accepted by all parties ... The Selangor state government does not compromise with any development project that threatens the safety of the people,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Yesterday, it was reported that the Batu Caves temple committee claimed that it was being victimised by the state government for staging a protest against the condominium project near the limestone cave last year.
Abdul Khalid said an independent committee, which researched and evaluated the site and the surrounding areas, had its first meeting last Tuesday.
“After listening to the explanation, I have decided for the Selayang Municipal Council to revoke the approval given to Dolomite Properties Sdn Bhd for the building of (the) 26-storey Dolomite Park Avenue condominium.”
He added that the Selangor Government supported any development project for the betterment of the people but it had to be planned thoroughly according to the law and not pose a danger to the people.