Flood situation eases in Terengganu, Kelantan


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 30 Dec 2012

Residents in Kemaman drying their furniture and home appliances

KUALA LUMPUR: The situation in flood-stricken areas in Terengganu and Kelantan are improving with the number of flood victims sheltered at evacuation centres reduced to 3,171 from 16,083 Saturday.

According to the Terengganu Flood Portal, the number of evacuees housed at relief centres in the state dropped to 2,617 as of 8.30am compared to 15,529 Saturday.

It said the situation in four of the seven districts affected by floods had returned to normal with Hulu Terengganu being the latest district to recover.

As of Sunday, Dungun has the most number of flood victims at 1,915 from 549 families, Kemaman 557 (156 families) and Kuala Terengganu 145 (31 families).

Eleven evacuation centres are still open, namely seven in Dungun, Kemaman (three) and Kuala Terengganu (one). Floods in Terengganu have so far claimed six lives.

In Kelantan, the number of flood victims remains at 554 from 178 families at relief centres at Sekolah Kebangsaan Pengkalan Kubor 1 and 2, Tumpat.

According to the state government's portal, they would be allowed to return home Sunday if the situation returns to normal for the water level at Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang had dropped.

However, the Meteorological Department predicted that rain was expected in east coast states again Sunday and residents were reminded to be prepared for the second round of floods.

There were no casualties reported so far in Kelantan and the weather in the state was fine Sunday morning. - Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Environment , Floods , Kelantan , Terengganu , Government

   

Next In Nation

Disclosing reports on ongoing MA63 talks would be premature, says Ongkili
Over 19 million of Malaysia’s adult population fully vaccinated against Covid-19
Sabah ready to introduce travel bubble concept following relaxed SOPs
Water supply to six areas in Shah Alam being restored in stages, says Air Selangor
Court fixes Oct 21 for next mention of Neelofa, hubby’s SOP violation case
High Court dismisses Rosmah's bid to disqualify Sri Ram, nullify her trial
Ventilation issues: Schools nationwide being checked ahead of October reopening, says Dr Mah
Form Six semester two, IGCSE O-Level students in Kedah to attend school starting Oct 10, says Education Ministry
27 ministries wind up debate on royal address
Dewan Rakyat approves motion of thanks on royal address

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers