IPOH: The online registration for the second round of Bantuan Rakyat 1Malaysia (BR1M) has received overwhelming response from the people.
In just two days since the registration began on Nov 1, over 148,000 applications have been received, said Second Finance Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah.
“This shows that online system is convenient for everyone,” he said after the ground-breaking ceremony of a new building complex for an orphanage in Chemor here, yesterday.
Ahmad Husni said the registration was mainly for those applying for the RM250 cash handout for single, unmarried individuals aged 21 and above, earning less than RM2,000 a month, and households that did not receive the RM500 BR1M aid earlier this year.
“For those who have received the aid this year, they need not apply again as their names are already in the records.
“They only need to notify us if there is a change of address or the head of the household had passed away,” he said.
On a separate matter, Ahmad Husni said Superstorm Sandy, which hit eastern United States on Monday would have a lesser impact on the world economy compared to the problems in the European economy.
“It will be difficult if the European economy does not recover as we are already seeing its impact in the reduction growth in China from 10% to 7% this year due to a decrease in demand for exported goods.
“The decreasing demand affected China's manufacturing sector and now its growth is mainly dependent on its government building infrastructure for the people,” he said.
Ahmad Husni said Malaysia on the other hand, would continue to focus on domestic demands and private investments to weather through the impact.
“Until September this year, our exports and imports continued to record positive growth, although the quantity was lower. This means that although our trade surplus could be decreasing, we hope to continue to protect our economic standing,” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?