Court compels Tian Chua and 16 others to enter defence


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 19 Jul 2012

PUTRAJAYA: An application by Batu MP Tian Chua and 16 others to strike out an order to enter their defence for participating in the Bersih rally has been dismissed by the Court of Appeal here.

Court of Appeal judge Justice Nihrumala Segara, who chaired a three-person panel, disallowed the application upon a preliminary objection made by DPP Nurul Huda Nuraini Mohd Nor, saying they were bound by case law on the matter.

The other two judges were Justices Azhar Haji Ma’Ah and Lim Bee Lan.

Tian Chua is charged with the 16 others with participating in an unlawful assembly at the National Mosque compound, Jalan Istana Baru, Jalan Raja Laut and beside the Sogo department store in Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman in Kuala Lumpur between 1pm and 4pm on Nov 10 five years ago.

The others include PAS deputy president Mohamad Sabu, Batu Serai MP N. Gobalakrishnan and two minors.

They were represented by Nasar Khan and Jason Tay.

The respondents had previously been acquitted by the Sessions Court on Nov 19, 2010, but on March 1 this year, the High Court overturned the decision and ordered them to enter their defence.

The trial will continue on Aug 29.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

CRSM aims to raise RM500k to help 5,000 flood-hit families, says MCA Youth chief
Covid-19: One school each in Melaka, Terengganu temporarily closed
Saifuddin: RTM to set up special education TV channel
Penang firemen rescue girl, 3, after being trapped in a car
Deputy Foreign Minister donates 150k face masks to Bandar Tun Razak residents
Covid-19: 12 new clusters reported, seven linked to workplaces
Covid-19: Quarantined SPM, STPM students will be allowed to defer exams, says Education Ministry
Covid-19: 229 news cases in Sarawak, mostly in Sibu district
Medical student tests positive for Covid-19 in Melaka
Health Ministry sets up 213 Covid-19 assessment centres to help patients undergoing home treatment

Stories You'll Enjoy