NILAI: Police have clarified news reports attributed to them that the tear gas used in the Bersih 3.0 rally on April 28 was approved by the United Nations.
Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Khalid Abu Bakar said the tear gas was imported based on UN-approved procedures and that the police did not claim that the world body had approved its use.
He said this yesterday after receiving a van from Nilai Municipal Council.
Khalid said the tear gas had been certified as not harmful by experts.
Logistics Department (Weaponry) assistant chief director Syed Mustafa Raja Syed Nordin was quoted as saying that the weapons had complied with the “international standards set by United Nations” and that it was also used by the United States, Canada and Switzerland.
On Thursday, the UN Coordina-tion Specialist in Malaysia Dr Lin Mui Kiang said the world body was not in the business of approving tear gas as a riot-control agent.
On those sought by the police in relation to the Bersih rally, Khalid said 24 people had either turned themselves in or been detained as at noon yesterday.
In IPOH, a 43-year-old night market trader and a 52-year-old plumber were held for taking part in the Bersih rally there.
They were arrested in Tambun and Klebang respectively on Saturday.
“We have handed them over to the Kuala Lumpur police,” state police chief DCP Datuk Shukri Dahlan said after attending the Perak police monthly gathering here yesterday.
Meanwhile, International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed said that based on a survey by SME Corp, the Kuala Lumpur rally had caused RM5.4mil in losses, mainly to the tourism industry, transport operators as well as damage to property.