Pupils scalded as pot of soup falls over


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 04 Oct 2011

KUALA TERENGGANU: Two Year One boys were badly burnt when they were scalded by a falling pot of boiling chicken soup.

Hafiz Haikal Mohd Razif suffered 13% burns while his classmate Mohammad Nabil Faris Mohd Azidi suffered 23% burns.

The two were queuing up at the SK Sultan Sulaiman 1 canteen during recess at about 10am yesterday when other boys behind them started pushing each other.

Hafiz Haikal and Mohammad Nabil were sent hurling forward, causing the pot to topple from the counter, spilling the soup and scalding them.

The boys were rushed to the Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital for treatment.

Recalling the incident, Hafiz Haikal said he was behind Mohammad Nabil when the incident occurred.

“We were queuing up as usual but the others behind us were pushing us.

“The next thing I knew, both of us were screaming as we got hot soup all over our bodies,” he said, adding that he suffered burns on his right thigh and arm while Mohammad Nabil suffered burns on his stomach, face and arms.

When met at the hospital, Hafiz Haikal's aunt Nurul Nadiah Mohd Fauzi, 23, said she was shocked to hear of the incident.

“I am thankful that he and his friend are fine.

“I would have thought canteen operators would have taken more precautions when serving children,” she said.

Hafiz Haikal's grandfather Mohd Fauzi Abdullah, 52, said more precautions were needed to prevent similar incident from happening.

“I hope the school administrators can get to the bottom of the matter as this concerns the children's safety.

“My grandson is lucky to survive but how could a pot of boiling soup be placed at a counter when it can easily topple over?” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site