PETALING JAYA: About 300 cats were rescued after they were allegedly starved in the locked “pet hotel” where they were being kept.
The police also found them confined in small cages and soaked in their own urine.
Nine cats were found dead while the others appeared hungry, dirty and sickly at the pet boarding premises in Damansara Damai here and Desa Moccis in Sg Buloh.
Animal rescue volunteer Bazillah Bahrin said some cats were checked in at the pet hotel for a week as their owners were away for their Hari Raya holidays.
“Yesterday, several owners wanted to claim back their pets but the pet hotel owner told them the cats would be sent to their houses.
“When some cats were not delivered, the owners went to the boarding premises but found it closed,” said Bazillah, adding that attempts to call the operator went unanswered.
She said some caged cats were left outside the premises but covered in their own faeces.
“Some were just skin and bones. When we gave them water, they drank as though they hadn't had water for days,” Bazillah said.
She added that about 50 cat owners then lodged reports at the Damansara Damai police station.
“The police decided to cut open the locks and enter the premises. We rescued the other cats kept there,” said Bazillah.
Pet owner Shazana Mahazir, 26, said her four-year-old male cat called Fatfat appeared skinnier, smelly and unwell.
“I was supposed to collect it on Sept 10 but I went earlier after I saw a message on Facebook saying that customers of the pet boarding service should check on their pets,” said the freelance designer.
Petaling Jaya deputy police chief Supt Meor Hamdan confirmed that nine police reports were lodged.
“A pet owner, who was concerned after hearing distressed cat noises, lodged a police report on the matter. The police at the scene then decided to cut the lock and enter the premises,” he said.
Supt Meor said police would conduct preliminary investigations into why the pets had been allegedly left unattended and record a statement from the pet boarding premises staff.
He said once police completed their investigation, they may hand over the matter to the Veterinary Services Department.
Did you find this article insightful?