KUANTAN: Six families, which were left without shelter after their quarters in Sungai Lembing were destroyed in a fire on the first day of Hari Raya, will have their homes rebuilt soon.
Tengku Mahkota Pahang Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah said Paya Besar MP Datuk Abdul Manan Ismail had set aside RM100,000 for new homes to be built on the same lot.
Tengku Abdullah, who visited the families and the site in Kampung Seberang, Sungai Lembing here yesterday, said the homes would have to be rebuilt although they were previously located on land without title.
He said this was because the families would need shelter and a place to stay, adding that the government was always generous and kind to its people on welfare matters.
“I was told that the land where their homes used to stand on has no title. However, our concern is more about their shelter or else, where will they stay?
“They are now staying with their neighbours and friends, but for how long can they do that? They, too, need their own homes,” said Tengku Abdullah after presenting the victims with his personal donation.
Also present were Tengku Puan Pahang Tunku Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah Sultan Iskandar, Abdul Manan and Panching assemblyman Zaili Besar.
In the 6pm incident on Tuesday, a fire broke out in one of the units in the quarters, which had been around since colonial times, before spreading to the rest of the building.
Victim Kok Ah Hing, 61, said he did not even have time to save any of his belongings.
“I quickly ran out of my unit and the flames had spread to the entire quarters,” he said when met at the police station on Wednesday.
Volunteer fireman Foo Ah Man, 43, said residents responded immediately to put out the flames before Fire and Rescue Department personnel arrived at about 7pm.
“We have never faced such a huge fire before. Everyone, including those celebrating Hari Raya, came to help put out the fire,” he said.
Nobody was hurt in the fire, which was completely extinguished by 9pm.
Did you find this article insightful?