JOHOR BARU: Travellers at the Causeway and Second Link are giving the thumbs up for the extended biometric scanners at both entry checkpoints aimed at cutting down congestion.
This follows an announcement by Home Ministry secretary-general Tan Sri Mahmood Adam that the scanners had been installed at more than 200 immigration officer booths at both points.
With this development, those in cars do not have to come out for fingerprint checks as was the case previously.
Mahmood said the scanners were installed on Saturday at the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine Complex (CIQ) at Bangunan Sultan Iskandar in Bukit Chagar and the Sultan Abu Bakar CIQ at the Second Link in Tanjung Kupang for those coming into Johor by cars.
Travellers interviewed by The Star at both checkpoints said they welcomed the extended biometric scanners.
Singaporean researcher Ong Zhi Wee, 46, hoped the new extended system could improve the situation at both CIQs.
“After being stuck in a horrible jam last weekend, I hope the extended cables can help speed up the process,” said the father of two.
Accountant Wong Jie Teng, 21, said the extended cables would make it easier for motorists to scan their thumbprints.
“It will speed up the traffic flow as passengers need not get out of their cars,” she said.
Student Regene Lim, 20, said it was unfair for the public to pin the blame entirely on the biometric system for the congestions that occurred.
“Instead of putting the blame on others, foreigners should cooperate and scan their thumbprints quickly to make sure there is no hold-up in the traffic flow,” she said.
Did you find this article insightful?