PETALING JAYA: A Malaysian has been abducted along with several others from a hotel in troubled Ivory Coast.
The identity of the man is unknown at press time.
According to international news agencies, about seven armed men stormed Novotel Hotel in the main city of Abidjan and abducted the Malaysian, two French and a Benin on Monday.
Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman in a statement yesterday said they had directed the Malaysian ambassador in Conakry, Guinea, whose responsibilities include Ivory Coast, to look into the matter and identify the Malaysian.
According to the Malaysian embassy in Conakry, there are 10 Malaysians who are working and living in Ivory Coast with their families.
“The ministry is working on getting them out of Ivory Coast. We will continue to monitor the situation until all our citizens are safe,” the statement said.
When contacted last night, Deputy Foreign Minister Senator A. Kohilan Pillay confirmed that a Malaysian had been abducted but said they were still waiting further details from the embassy.
A Wisma Putra officer said efforts were underway to not only identify the man but to determine his purpose of visit to Ivory Coast.
“Ivory Coast is eight hours behind us. We should know more by tomorrow (today),” he said.
The unrest in Ivory Coast started in November last year after strongman Laurent Gbagbo refused to concede despite losing the presidential election to Alassane Ouattara.
Yesterday, Ouattara's fighters had surrounded the presidential palace where Gbagbo had been occupying despite his defeat.
UN and French peacekeepers have stepped in to help resolve the civil unrest, it was reported.