Sodomy II: Fresh details revealed, Anwar wants charge dropped (Updated)


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 16 Feb 2011

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim wants the Attorney-General to withdraw the sodomy charge against him, following fresh details in court that the sodomy and oral sex complaint against him had been listed merely as "attempted" in complainant Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan's medical proforma.

Speaking to the press outside the courtroom Wednesday, the Opposition leader's lead counsel Karpal Singh said following fresh evidence found in the medical proforma, his charge should be dropped as there was no basis for it.

Earlier in court, Hospital Kuala Lumpur Emergency Care Specialist Dr Khairul Nizam Hassan agreed with Anwar's counsel that that the proforma had stated "attempted" sodomy and oral sex.

Karpal: Based on the proforma, it says attempted sodomy?

Dr Khairul: Yes.

Karpal: It says attempted oral sex?

Dr Khairul: Based on the proforma, yes.

Karpal: Then there could not have been penetration. It says here, attempted.

Dr Khairul, however, clarified that the patient did not use the word "attempted" when he was interviewed by the doctors prior to his medical examination.

Karpal: But he said it. It's in the proforma!

Dr Khairul: The proforma is only a guide.

Karpal: The proforma would be based on what he (Mohd Saiful) said.

Dr Khairul: He did not use the word "attempt".

Anwar, 63, has been charged to performing carnal intercourse against the order of nature on Mohd Saiful at a condominium unit in Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur, between 3.15pm and 4pm on June 26, 2008.

Leading the prosecution was Solicitor-General II Datuk Mohd Yusof Zainal Abiden.

Karpal later also pointed out that the prosecution's evidence was contradictory as the profoma also stated that there were ejaculations for both "oral attempted" and "rectal attempted".

It also stated that there was "full penetration", with a 30-minute coitus duration.

Wednesday also saw the prosecution calling in their fifth witness, Dr Seah Lay Hong, head of the Serious Crime Unit of the Chemistry Department.

The trial was cut short, however, due to erratic power cuts which interrupted the court's recording system, and adjourned to Thursday.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Calls renewed to abolish mandatory death penalty for drug offences
Sarawak to update Covid-19 SOPs for oil and gas sector
Idris agrees with Penang mufti’s call to address issue of 'Timah' whiskey branding
Muslims celebrate Maulidur Rasul via online events
Perak allocates RM46.5mil to aid SMEs
Almost 91% of Sarawak's adult population fully vaccinated
Efficient, proactive, creative govt delivery system vital to instil confidence among people, says Sabah Yang di-Pertua
Melaka Election: Umno Perak will wait for SOP announcement before sending election workers
Used car dealer swindled out of RM158,800
Melaka Polls 2021: State DAP says no to Norhizam

Others Also Read


Vouchers